Emerging future needs

Now Closed

This online engagement was hosted on YourSAy from 30 June 2019 to 31 August 2019. Find out more about the consultation process. Below is a record of this engagement.

What are the emerging future needs in housing? What needs to change and what are your solutions for tackling them?

Join the discussion below.

Comments closed

Emma O'Halloran

30 Aug 2019

The biggest issue facing social and community housing sector is the lack of available funding to meet demand.
With almost 6,000 people experiencing homelessness every night in South Australia, generating more supply needs to be the top priority.
New long-term, sustainable sources of funding need to be explored and considered in South Australia’s Housing, Homelessness and Support Strategy.
An example of a solution for tackling the funding gap, is making initiatives such as Homes for Homes, the norm across the property industry. Homes for Homes is an independent new stream of funding that directly increases supply through homeowner participation.
Often individuals are unsure how they can make a difference to what seems to be an insurmountable problem. Homes for Homes is how they can contribute. The South Australian Government can assist in raising awareness with all property owners on how they can make a difference through participation in models such as these.

Peter Kuhlmann

28 Aug 2019

Affordable housing is what is required. A lot of people are building Tiny Houses easily under $20,000 material cost only. The advantages of owner built housing include learning new skills, recycling materials, designed specifically to suit the individuals, appreciation for different building materials (cost, function, ecological footprint, aesthetic value etc) Good design is required for a functional comfortable home, and skills are needed to build it properly. There is a tremendous amount of satisfaction in building your own home yourself. A lot of people would like to build their own home and have the skills to do so, but there are so many rules and regulations that say you can't do this and you can't do that. It is time to make some rules that say YES you can do that and encourage people to build their own homes. Not everyone needs an eight bedroom house with six bathrooms! There is an area for housing that needs to be classified at FIT FOR PURPOSE that does not necessarily fit into the regular boxes. There are a lot of very competent builders out there that work well with recycled materials. Often people who are experienced at working creatively with recycled materials are are also keen to share their knowledge and experience with anyone who is eager to learn. There are many rural areas where people would like to live but Councils to date are not very helpful with anything that is outside of their normal guidelines. The Government needs to encourage Councils to be more flexible and accommodating to the needs of the community.

Anne Sinclair

28 Aug 2019

The trouble with the whole tiny house concept is that many of us have accumulated items that are part of our history. Not a lot but where do we put it in a tiny house? May as well live in a caravan. Great for those who want a tiny home but some of us would prefer a bit more room.

Donna Merrett > Anne Sinclair

31 Aug 2019

I think its not about having a choice anymore. Its simple... do you want a roof over your head or not? People living in tents and cars have had to downsize dramatically, so do people living in apartments.

Alice Clark

26 Jul 2019

Housing affordability continues to decline in South Australia for home ownership and private rental. Unemployment and high utilities costs mean that greater numbers of people are struggling to afford housing and the gap between paying an income-based rent and even the cheapest private rental is widening. The Strategic Intent acknowledges an increase in rental stress for low income households where it has almost doubled in eight years from 22% in 2007-2008 to 39% in 2015-2016, constituting around 46,500 households. An increase in the supply of social housing is critical to meet current and future needs in housing.

What needs to change is the attitude that social housing is purely a welfare measure. The State Government needs to start thinking of social housing as an investment in not only our economy but also in our social fabric.

We should tap into the land owned by not for profits to take the cost of land out of the new construction of housing and explore build to rent models, enabling land-owners to retain and grow their assets. Government could take a leadership role in this space by encouraging new models that accommodate a proportion of social housing without government subsidy.

Inclusionary zoning should be mandatory in South Australia and where there is residential rezoning, value increases should be captured for the specific purpose of including social housing rather than contribute to private developer profit margins.

We should look at better ways to work with the building industry who want to build houses and the customers who need a more affordable product.

State Government could lobby the Federal Government to bring back an improved rental incentive scheme.

Government Agency

Housing Strategy > Alice Clark

08 Aug 2019

Alice, thanks so much for your input and thought in your comment, lots of great ideas that we need explore and consider for inclusion in the Strategy, your suggestion around land and not for profits is something that needs unpacking and testing.

Thanks
Joe

Myles Kenihan

15 Jul 2019

By around 2030, a quarter of South Australians will be 65 years old or more and most of those will be living alone. Single and double bed roomed domiciles will need to become the norm. I don't know if the current stock of Trust properties are best suited to the conditions which are likely in 10-15 years. The ongoing constriction of the social state, march of technological unemployment and aging population all contribute to the diminishing revenue base of the public purse which means the sector won't be flooded with resources. Demand for affordable housing is inexorable but so too seems demand for low risk investments. As much as we'd all love the life of an English squire, perhaps some social discipline is not misplaced? Reading some of comments already posted, I think that the tiny house movement seems to present one answer or at least something in the realm of the possible.

Gail Stead > Myles Kenihan

24 Jul 2019

you also forget that those older Australians 65 -78 are some still working as they dont fit into the Category of the young or the retirement age qualification, they also may have long term companions in the way of cats/dogs, they also may have part time responsibility in helping their children with childcare as this is an affordable option, so moving them into a tiny 1 bedroom flat or units with stairs and unsure /unsecured places is also not the answer

24 Jul 2019

A broader approach needs to be looked at at all levels of aging and young people housing for suitable accommodation that suits all, not just a blanket approach. I state again that Government are too quick to selloff assets and not fill the gaps for a quick return and ignore the consequences of an aging population, I agree we do not need big houses with lots of land, but we do need to look at individuals and their individual needs and trying most of all to keep them within the communities they have lived and supported courtyard housing with a small backyard is still an option if maintained properly can go down through the generations to all that need housing

24 Jul 2019

The other option I have seen that works overseas is exactly that, where by people with disabilities are housed say in a cul-de sac and the other smaller blocks are given to older Australians in courtyard houses they have harmony and all look after each other as a community

Myles Kenihan > Myles Kenihan

24 Jul 2019

Yes, much more stakeholder engagement is needed beyond our discussions here. But we will need to do as much as possible with the resources which are likely to be available. A modular approach tailored to specific mixes of a given community, as you've alluded to, might be one way. Basing the approach entirely on small domiciles will be problematic for some groups. Assuming a public authority still exists, there will need to be flexibility with regard to individuals with disabilities and so on. The more we can learn from societies which have already faced this challenge, the better.

Chanae Matthews

12 Jul 2019

I am single and don't plan on having kids. I don't need a three bedroom home with two bathrooms and I don't want a huge mortgage to live in a one bedroom flat in the city. I would love to own a tiny home that can be built on a small budget. I don't need much - a small home, eco friendly/off the grid, on a small piece of land outside of the city. There are too many rules and regulations around this in SA. NZ are much more progressive in this area and therefore have many companies that build these types of homes.

Selina Simmons > Chanae Matthews

13 Jul 2019

What about an option of sharing a home with someone who feels the same but instead built the large home because of the restrictions of Tiny Houses?!

Chanae Matthews > Chanae Matthews

13 Jul 2019

Yes, that could be an option as I do like spending time with friends and family but I also like to be independent and have my own little space I can call home. I dislike the way the world is designed around everyone being in a pair. It can be very hard for a individual, especially when it comes to housing.

Tina Hall

09 Jul 2019

We need to look at other countries that are making headway in this area. What is working well and what can we leverage from.
There are number of things we can look at such as:
- Block community single accommodation living. This assists connectivity and affordable living for singles. (Similar to military accommodation years ago).
- Tiny house communities that offer community gardens, and low footprint living.
- Multiple family accommodation opportunities.
- encouraging further recycling and lowering waste ( heaps being done overseas in this area)
There are many things that can be done that are low hanging fruit and you can get bang for buck quickly.
The biggest hurdle is how we can manage the changes to ensure people embrace the new way
I would be grateful to participate and share my insights into these discussions.

Government Agency

Housing Strategy > Tina Hall

08 Aug 2019

thanks Tina, here in the strategy team we are constantly on the look-out and scanning for good policy solutions from both interstate and overseas and to date through the engagement process we've been hearing about lots of creative ideas. All these ideas but your and ours need thought, testing and prioritisation so we can work what can work best with the resources we have available.

Sarah Wormald

04 Jul 2019

Allow communities to have small tiny homes, and encourage tiny home communities, this will for some give financial stability and social connectedness and relationships
If you adopt a similar model for the homeless sector you must have services connected and intertwined to ensure education and health needs are met or waves of intervention support available. The communities could almost work to be self sufficient if the government sets them up with communal shelter solar rainwater tanks seating simple bbq kitchen community garden etc tiny House or accommodation cabin 2.4m x 7-10m Long. Simple basic accommodation subsidised on a tier system of reflective of individuals current status and eventual progress and achievements to independence.

Government Agency

Housing Strategy > Sarah Wormald

08 Aug 2019

Thanks Sarah, for your tiny suggestion, in recent days we've been hearing lots of tiny houses, particular with a significant new tiny house project announced in Melbourne. Its an idea has great merit and over coming weeks will strongly be considered for its feasibility and inclusion in the Strategy.

Thanks
Joe