Do you agree with the proposed arrangements outlined in the draft SA Commercial Kangaroo Management Plan 2020-2024?

Now closed

This online engagement was hosted on YourSAy from 06 June 2019 to 06 September 2019. Find out more about this consultation process. Below is a record of this engagement.

We would like to know if you agree with the proposed arrangements outlined in the draft SA Commercial Kangaroo Management Plan 2020-2024 and if you think they will have positive or negative impacts on the conservation of the kangaroo species, and the environment in your region.

Join in the conversation below.

Please note: the harvesting of kangaroos is a necessary activity supported by legislation. Comments received about the merits of implementing kangaroo management in South Australia or that demonstrate a philosophical objection to kangaroo harvesting will be received and noted. See consultation guidelines for further details.

Comments closed

Diana McGregor

24 Jun 2019

Far too many people believe the myths around Kangaroos and don't value our unique wildlife in general. I have tried to copy the information below but am unable to copy and paste so have written out this fact sheet.
'Kangaroos grow and breed slowly. A wild grey kangaroo doe can raise just one independent joey per year. Her first successfully weaned joey will be at 4 years old. At 12 years old she will stop breeding. Six of her joeys will die before weaning. With joey gender parity in unshot populations, if she is lucky, she will replace herself once in her lifetime.' In other words there is a natural juvenile mortality rate of 73% and up to 100% juvenile mortality rate in drought. None of this is understood by the public in general and is completely dismissed by those with a vested interest in the money they make from culls for the pet food and human meat industries. Kangaroos will congregate around dams and water outlets but if anyone bothered to drive outback they will find they go vast distances and not see a sign of roos anywhere.

Tanya Taverner > Diana McGregor

26 Jun 2019

Hi Diana
Thank you for all of that interesting information. I would be interested to know if the people who have drafted the proposed 'harvesting management plan' are aware of this information? or, do they select only the information that is suitable in achieving the proposed agenda?

Rosy Centrella > Diana McGregor

05 Jul 2019

If course not this country only cares about destruction!

Traceu Crockett > Diana McGregor

22 Jul 2019

This is not about management..kangaroo do not need to be managed...its this Gov't and those that support this cruel disgusting industry that need to be managed...as an Aboriginal woman I am outraged at the total disrespect toward our beautiful Kangaroo who is integral part of our dreaming...

Rachael Yeend

17 Jun 2019

DISAGREE! History shows that hatred for perceived common and problematic native animals can drive them to extinction. There are areas that kangaroo populations are getting genetically smaller, this is because the Big Bucks that normally have breeding rights in the mob are targeted by shooters resulting in the smaller weaker males are the ones who are breeding and this has an impact on future generations

Traceu Crockett > Rachael Yeend

22 Jul 2019

Yes Koala was once abundant 10's of millions..then along came white man and his gun and started killing them for profit....this will be whatvhappens to our macropods at the rate we are going

Damien Hawkes

16 Jun 2019

It is important to manage any animal that roams free, as I understand that there have been good management practices in remote area's for animals that has not adversely affected population numbers, therefore, to maintain suitable numbers in semi-rural and outer urban areas just make good common sense. I wouldn’t like a persons life cut short on a country road by an accident caused by a kangaroo, deer or emu due to no risk mitigation strategies implemented by councils.

Traceu Crockett > Damien Hawkes

22 Jul 2019

Why not manage our own overpopulation...its our over population that is the problem poir roo's have no where safe anymore

Damien Hawkes > Damien Hawkes

22 Jul 2019

Couldn't agree more.

Suzanne Gordon

14 Jun 2019

No, I oppose the plan! The governments answer is always to kill animals when numbers get out of control. Kangaroo numbers are in abundance for two reasons, habitat destruction and the supply of pasture and water via the meat industry. If we instead looked to growing sustainable plant based food for us and worked to returning habitat for wildlife, we all would benefit in the short and long term. Shooting is a terrifying event for wildlife and even though some shooters are able to shoot straight to the head, after that trying to shoot a hopping scared animal would be difficult and I know for a fact when living with neighbours who hired shooters, they can miss and not locate the injured animal. The process of slamming joeys until they are dead is so awful. We have to start thinking of changing our lifestyle to live better with wildlife. Surely we can think of a better method for managing this. So many of us have graduated with environmental degrees and many do not have jobs, perhaps DEW and interstate Dept. Env. needs to hire more people to come up with better strategies for managing wildlife to that of just 'let's shoot them, it's easier, quicker and cheaper.

Traceu Crockett > Suzanne Gordon

22 Jul 2019

Pre 1788, water and food was abundant as was macropods...they and their environment has been on the decline eversince....this is yet another lie to justify the slaughter of our wildlife for profit

Suzanne Gordon > Suzanne Gordon

23 Jul 2019

Habitat loss and the shrinking of bushland by pasture land is where we should be looking to manage. It's us that we need to manage, our lifestyle, bring back to the best way we can the bush and native grasslands. Restoration ecology principles. Value wildlife and the land and stop destroying it.

Cheryle Allison

13 Jun 2019

I do not agree with this decision

David Evans

11 Jun 2019

This needs to happen as Kangaroo numbers, especially in the South East of the state appear to be massive. This is putting a strain on the environment and placing road users at increased risk.

Jill Morley > David Evans

26 Jun 2019

Rubbish I live in the county and have never seen a wild Kangaroo ever - accept a dead one on the road - this culling is BUll - they should stop killing animals and find other solutions

Traceu Crockett > David Evans

25 Jul 2019

David Evans I live in remote NSW and I am gravely concerned at the extremely low numbers..I do alot of driving at night and I am lucky to see 5 roo's in a week..and the few I do see are usually dead shot or run over.

George Gribble

09 Jun 2019

Prior to issuing permits to destroy native wildlife; the Department of Environment and Water (DEW) need to review the way they consider (actually they don't) the safety of neighbouring landowners. DEW has issued a permit to shoot a high-powered rifle (.223) to one of my neighours who lives 400 from the township of Kersbrook. There a four houses within 50 metres of this property and I have had his spotlight shine through my bedroom window. (there is also a school and sporting oval within the trajectory distance of the bullets (5 Km). DEW will not rescind this permit - their response is that I should call the police if something happens. I pray that nothing happens! Fix this DEW problem before people are killed. DEW SHOULD NOT ISSUE PERMITS IN DANGEROUS LOCATIONS AND EXPECT THE POLICE TO DEAL WITH THE PROBLEMS. THIS IS JUST COWARDLY.

Kristine James > George Gribble

01 Sep 2019

George - I can sympathise as we have experienced a similar situation.

Ray Borda

07 Jun 2019

great change to extend the commercial areas as kangaroos through the drought have moved into areas that did not historically have high populations of kangaroos, in search for food and water. crash repairers have been extremely busy repairing damaged vehicles from collisions with kangaroos, this also puts lives at risk.

Kristine James > Ray Borda

07 Jul 2019

Ray, you may like to do a little more research on the common causes of car accidents in Australia. You would find that hitting an animal, such as a kangaroo, accounts for only around 5 % of common types of car accidents. Most accidents are usually caused by ‘human error’. (See “Car Accident Statistic 2019’ at budgetdirect.com.au)

Ro Mudyin Godwin > Ray Borda

25 Jul 2019

If the Commercial Kangaroo Killing Industry was Sustainable then there would be no need to either increase the slaughter of Kangaroos & Wallabies & or to increase the Killing zones,especially in Drought when Kangaroos naturally reduce reproduction & have naturally high mortality rates with upto 100% mortality of juveniles & upto 60% natural mortality rates in adults. The slaughter of Kangaroos who are Sacred Totem Animals to many of we Indigenous People is fuelled by ignorant colonialism & purely for profit,it’s Artificial Selection that is mass indiscriminate slaughter in which entire mobs are gunned down including females,as we recently saw in several posts on FB & as we who’ve been involved in the teaching of people about Kangaroos for decades know & have witnessed. This slaughter is also destroying Song Lines & Dreaming Tracks & is interfering with the ability of we Indigenous People & teaching future generations about the importance of our connection to our Totemic Species. As far as Car Accidents go,I live with Kangaroos,educate the public about them & as an Initiated Teacher of Traditional & Modern Knowledge of Kangaroo,& having also worked in Wildlife Rescue for years,I’ve never hit a Kangaroo whilst driving & neither has anyone I know. People who drive to conditions don’t hit Kangaroos. Indeed when we look at facts we see that only 5% of all accidents are due to “hit an animal” with 25% of accidents caused by people failing to give way. There are no high populations of Kangaroos anywhere across Country given 231 years of relentless slaughter by those who are completely ignorant to Culture & The Dreaming. In NSW there was a mass mortality event in which millions of Kangaroos died in 2017 from a disease which has yet to be diagnosed,then the Drought,& now as well as the Commercial Kangaroo Killing Industry we have the Open Slaughter of Kangaroos,Victoria upto one million Kangaroos slaughtered for predominantly skins with the excuse the slaughter is for Pet Food,research shows declines in SA,QLD,Kangaroos decimated by floods & thousands of Kilometres of Cluster Fencing,WA concerns raised by Indigenous people given the extent of the slaughter. I repeat there are no high populations of Kangaroos anywhere remembering its also biologically impossible for Kangaroos to reach a status of “overpopulation” Country has been decimated by Unsustainable Farming which is not only destroying Country but forcibly removing Kangaroos from this their Ancestral Home & pushing them into areas they wouldn’t normally frequent. The problem isn’t the Kangaroos it’s the greedy want of a minority who are completely disconnected to Country & Indigenous Culture. I agree totally with the comments made by both Rae Harvey & Kristine James....especially with the question asked by Rae.

Traceu Crockett > Ray Borda

25 Jul 2019

How woyld you know historically if Kangaroo was in a particular area..? Australia is older then 231 years and traditionally Kangaroo roamed everywhere..cars can be repaied dead Kangaroo's are gone forever..its just a bloody car...of course yiur going to argue the point as you alone set to profit from this mass and cruel industry.

Ro Mudyin Godwin > Ray Borda

01 Aug 2019

Ray Borda you have stated you are lobbying for change re the cost of tags etc are you also lobbying for the dressed carcass weights of slaughtered Kangaroos & Wallabies to be reduced to even lower weights than they are now....??

Steph Dyer > Ray Borda

02 Aug 2019

Oh so Ray Borda profits from Roo flesh... All makes sense now. His interest is money nothing more.

clayton crabbe > Ray Borda

05 Aug 2019

I would like to make mention of the ‘loaded documentary’ Kangaroo that was mentioned earlier in this conversation. I would like to see it but when I asked them to do a cinema screening in my home town that is a hub for kangaroo harvesters, they responded with how much it would cost and they were not interested in doing a free screening. Little bit of irony when looking at it from a financial perspective given that most of the comments on here are targeting the financial aspect of the harvesting industry. ‘Kangaroo’ film makers had the opportunity to present to a gathering and turn the minds of people at the foundation of the industry, but instead it would seem $$$ comes first to them. If anyone would like to send me a free copy, I will be happy to watch it, but I won’t financially support a documentary that is not impartial. A true documentary does not ‘shade’ and ‘light’ to manipulate opinions.

On a final note, I would like to see the kangaroos shot under destruction terms be reduced to zero and all kangaroos go into meat processors that are using the meat as a resource to stimulate the state’s economy, create jobs and not be wasted which is currently happening. Innovation with the kangaroo harvesting regulations is urgently required.