Help us to improve the legislative framework that protects animal health, safety and welfare.
What’s being decided?
We are reviewing the Veterinary Practice Act 2003 and the Veterinary Practice Regulations 2017 to ensure they appropriately provide for the protection of animal health, safety and welfare and the public interest, including users of veterinary services.
A review of the legislation will allow us to:
- examine its current relevance
- identify opportunities for modernisation, simplification or where necessary expansion.
Through this consultation, we want to hear the views of both providers and consumers of veterinary services in SA, including but not limited to:
- animal welfare organisations
- consumers of veterinary services, including the general public, and organisations representing consumers of veterinary services
- universities and vocational education providers
- Veterinary Surgeons Board of South Australia
- research organisations
- professional veterinary membership associations and veterinarians
- organisations that represent non-veterinary occupations
- general public
The following resources will help inform your feedback:
- the discussion paper provides further detail about what the legislation review aims to achieve as well as the core areas where feedback is needed. It also has a number of questions to help inform and guide your responses.
- the summary tab provides a brief overview of the review.
Information about the review is also available on the Department of Primary Industries and Regions website.
- join the online discussion
- complete the online survey
- email your feedback to PIRSA.VeterinaryPracticeActReview@sa.gov.au
- post your feedback to
Veterinary Practice Act Review
Department of Primary Industries and Regions
33 Flemington Street, Glenside SA, 5065
The content from your submission may be published online at the conclusion of the review or included in a final review report. Personal details identifying you or your organisation, however, will not be published or included in the final report without your permission. If you wish to keep all, or certain aspects, of your submission confidential, please advise the department when making your submission.
How can your input influence the decision?
Your feedback will be considered to identify the changes that might be required to ensure contemporary regulation of veterinary treatment in SA.
A report will be prepared for the Minister for Primary Industries and Regional Development on the outcome of the consultation.
What are the next steps?
Following this consultation, we will decide if a new Act is required. If so, a draft Bill will be prepared for further consultation and engagement with stakeholders on proposed legislative changes.
For general enquiries, please email us at PIRSA.VeterinaryPracticeActReview@sa.gov.au or call us on 08 8429 0854 during business hours (9am to 5pm, weekdays).
Closing date: 5:00pm, Sunday 31 January 2021
Upcoming key dates
Sun, 31 Jan 2021 at 5:00 PM