This consultation has closed, but you can read the consultation report here.
A new draft Bill has been developed that provides local government with clearer responsibilities when dealing with environmental nuisances, and modernising litter regulation.
Here is a chance for you to have your say on the Bill.
This Bill has been developed to establish consistency in the management of nuisance across the state and also to provide the community with more effective local management of nuisance complaints. Additionally, the proposed modernisation of litter regulation includes tiered penalties for various types of littering (including higher penalties for illegal dumping offences) and applying responsibility for littering offences from vehicles to the owner of the vehicle. These reforms will support more effective use of surveillance of illegal dumping hotspots and public litter reporting.
There are a number of ways that you can get involved and have your say. Firstly, the EPA is conducting public consultation meetings across South Australia on behalf of the government as part of the consultation process.
Public consultation meetings were held in the following locations:
- Wudinna: Thursday, 30th July 2015 – Wudinna Telecentre (44 Eyre Hwy, Wudinna)
- Victor Harbor: Monday, 3rd August 2015 – Eat @ Whalers (121 Franklin Parade, Encounter Bay)
- Karoonda: Tuesday, 4th August 2015 – Karoonda East Murray Council Chambers (11 Railway Terrace, Karoonda)
- Port Pirie: 7th August 2015 - Port Pirie Council Chambers (115 Ellen Street, Port Pirie)
- Adelaide: 11th August 2015 – Local Government Association Offices (148 Frome Street, Adelaide)
- Naracoorte: 12th August 2015 – Naracoorte Lucindale Council Chambers (DeGaris Place, Naracoorte)
Comments on the draft Local Nuisance and Litter Control Bill 2015 are sought by 5.00pm, Monday, 31 August 2015.
You can comment in the online discussions, or send them in by mail or email to:
Local Nuisance and Litter Control Bill 2015 project
Environment Protection Authority
GPO Box 2607
ADELAIDE SA 5001
firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject: Local Nuisance and Litter Control Bill 2015)
Once all submissions and comments have been received, a consultation report will be prepared and will be available on the EPA website.
For more information please visit http://report.epa.sa.gov.au/our_work/have_your_say.